Visions
Too Small
scp
Qzuadro
13 posters

Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels

Qzuadro
    Qzuadro

Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels Empty Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels

Post by Qzuadro Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:37 am

Just got my levels checked, and Im at:

240 total

73 Trigs

45 HDL

181 LDL !!

Been off gear for 2 months, should I be really worried? How low should I get it before a cycle?
    scp
    scp

Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels Empty Re: Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels

Post by scp Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:10 am

I am 330 total with 14 HDL and 275 LDL.

I just started with the flax seed oil, policosanol and cardio.

I will do everything possible to avoid taking cholesterol meds.
    Too Small
    Too Small

Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels Empty Re: Advise Please. Dangerous Cholesterol Levels

Post by Too Small Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:58 am

My Chol was 275..

HDL: ??
    LDL: 205

I'm getting ready to take Niacin along with EFA's. I should be on meds, but I don't want to pay the costs yet.
    Visions
    Visions
    VIP
    VIP

Post by Visions Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:56 am

Yes you should be concerned.... I have heard great reports from this product and a closer friend just started it and I'll hear results in about 6 weeks or so... but here it is just incase you want to start it up...

http://www.n3inc.com/index2.html
    DoubleWide
    DoubleWide

Post by DoubleWide Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 am

as for high cholesterol food 60% of people dont benefit from lowering the cholesterol intake from food. it usually doesnt do shit. watch your trans and saturdated fats because those are whats converted to cholesterol in the body.
    doctorwill
    doctorwill

Post by doctorwill Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:19 am

Doublewide is right about what to avoid.

I take Lipitor. It lowers cholesterol significantly. Hell, all the statin drugs do. The chance of sides is pretty small. As an added perk, if you have insurance, you will need to get your liver values tested regularly. Perfect if you are taking something else that is hard on your liver.

Remember that only a handful of the sups out there actually do anything. Niacin helps as does eating fiber (taking metamucil). But these only cause a small change. The drugs are where you will find real changes.

Also, do some cardio. I find it helps with both my BP and my cholesterol. I am down to 175 with drugs right now. Without, I am about 275. And my HDL has gone from beeing REAL bad to just bad.
    o2jumper
    o2jumper

Post by o2jumper Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:08 am

Here is a link from the American Heart Society for those reading this thread that are not familiar with the HDL,LDL levels etc. Thought it would be helpful.

http://americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=183

Dave
    MrFortlauderdale
    MrFortlauderdale

Post by MrFortlauderdale Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:51 am

I eat about 5 - 6 eggs every single morning with a cup of oatmeal, some fruit and a couple peices of toast. Thats just my first meal.. Here is my question???

I was told by some friends at my gym that if im eating all the egg yolks, like I do,.. then my cholestorol levels will spike extrememly high in to danger zone... is this true??? are the egg yolks that bad?
    sonoma8
    sonoma8

Post by sonoma8 Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 am

i just had some tests run on my renal functions, they also did a lipid level...aka...cholesterol... and mine was 273...hehehe..... but just a couple hours b4 that i had eaten like 6-7 whole eggs,,,so yeah it can spike it up pretty rapidly....
    MrFortlauderdale
    MrFortlauderdale

Post by MrFortlauderdale Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:36 am

So then should I not be eating all the yolks? should I split it up... ??? dont' eat them at all?
    smartwater
    smartwater

Post by smartwater Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:18 am

how many cycles have u done?
    sonoma8
    sonoma8

Post by sonoma8 Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:19 am

i use that egg beaters stuff....no yolk..or whatever they call it.... for breakfast i eat 3 reg eggs,,,,1 cup egg beaters=4eggs and some turkey bacon,,,ham cubes and wheat bread,, and a bowl of grape nuts.....try the egg beaters....not that bad....
    vagrant
    vagrant

Post by vagrant Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:14 am

Guys, as an AHA instructor I've spent 16 years teaching "low fat, low fat, low fat" to control cholesterol and weight.

Then I learned the hard way since I was eating the way I taught and hit 300 pounds of lardassedness anyway that we were teaching it wrong.

I went on a strict keto diet and within months my cholesterol went from CAD levels with early onset heart disease and a slight electrical dysfunction to excellent in the normal range. My good went up, my bad went down, my arteries are clear...no meds needed.

Don't forget another way of clogging your arteries is excess glycogen. Think about it. When we eat our carbs and protein to make sure our glycogen stores are full we do it to at least a slight excess while on a bulking diet. There is only 15g/kg of LBM of storage space between the liver and muscle cells for glycogen storage. When we exceed our storage space what happens to the extra? It is stored on and in our bodies as saturated fat and cholesterol.

My mother eats almost a dangerously low fat diet. I'm talking 10% intake of fat with saturated fat intake being almost nonexistant. She's also on a statin and some other cholesterol drug. Her bad cholesterol is well beyond the dangerous level and she isn't even old yet. She still doesn't believe me about reducing carbs and eating more fat to control it. My grandfather did believe me, gave it a try, lost 80lbs and now his 87 year old arteries are doing OK. I suspect he'll outlive her. I just reminded him to eat the way he grew up eating. Meat that he'd killed, eggs from his hens, green beans, broccoli, cabbages, lettuce and things like that which he'd grown (he still farms) and get off the processed food and have a little fat. It worked for me, it worked for him.

I'm now eating a lot of carbs to gain with but next cutting time I'll do a timed carb diet for a month then a month or two of a strict keto diet to make sure the pipes stay clean.

This isn't studies or AMA info. It certainly isn't AHA info. But based on my personal experience it is a way to make positive changes in your cholesterol levels.

I can't say this approach is perfect for everyone, but it did help me.

Best wishes to you for finding the right way to correct your cholesterol issue.
    vagrant
    vagrant

Post by vagrant Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:02 am

Another thought...

I wonder if the bad cholesterol levels from gear use is actually from the gear or from the diets consumed while on it. Really high carbs, some people using loads of fat and carbs together to get more calories in, eating to excess so there is enough to grow.

Hmmm, are steroids getting blamed for something else that they don't do?

When my doc had me on anavar (granted the dosage was smaller than most women would use and I'm male) - she only gave me 20mg 2x a day in a failed attempt to treat a new/sudden onset of leg weakness...hey it was worth a shot. She did weekly BP checks, biweekly lipid profiles...very cautious she was.

I was doing a timed carb diet at the time and there were no bad changes to my lipid profile and she wondered if I was actually taking my meds. She said my cholesterol should have at least moved to the "bad" end of the normal range. Of course after 2 months with no improvement I chose to go off the meds (dummy, dummy, dummy). Even though my legs had gotten bigger they weren't stronger. Ahhh the joys of CNS dysfunction.
    zambon
    zambon

Post by zambon Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:58 am

Just my 2 cents..i went from a high fat diet to vegetarian and in 6 months my levels went from 210 to 118 totals. but then I know other who have just huge numbers but seem to eat moderate foods..and only drugs would help...by high I mean 300 plus.
    vagrant
    vagrant

Post by vagrant Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 am

zambon wrote:Just my 2 cents..i went from a high fat diet to vegetarian and in 6 months my levels went from 210 to 118 totals. but then I know other who have just huge numbers but seem to eat moderate foods..and only drugs would help...by high I mean 300 plus.

So then it seems it would be worth the effort to see what kind of nutrition plan a particular individual needs. Some of us can help it with a high fat plan. Others must do a very low fat - even vegan plan. Either way, if one takes the time to learn what their body really needs, they may be able to stay off meds. Others, well some just have to have them.
    doctorwill
    doctorwill

Post by doctorwill Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:44 am

vagrant wrote:Guys, as an AHA instructor I've spent 16 years teaching "low fat, low fat, low fat" to control cholesterol and weight.

Then I learned the hard way since I was eating the way I taught and hit 300 pounds of lardassedness anyway that we were teaching it wrong.

I went on a strict keto diet and within months my cholesterol went from CAD levels with early onset heart disease and a slight electrical dysfunction to excellent in the normal range. My good went up, my bad went down, my arteries are clear...no meds needed.

Don't forget another way of clogging your arteries is excess glycogen. Think about it. When we eat our carbs and protein to make sure our glycogen stores are full we do it to at least a slight excess while on a bulking diet. There is only 15g/kg of LBM of storage space between the liver and muscle cells for glycogen storage. When we exceed our storage space what happens to the extra? It is stored on and in our bodies as saturated fat and cholesterol.

My mother eats almost a dangerously low fat diet. I'm talking 10% intake of fat with saturated fat intake being almost nonexistant. She's also on a statin and some other cholesterol drug. Her bad cholesterol is well beyond the dangerous level and she isn't even old yet. She still doesn't believe me about reducing carbs and eating more fat to control it. My grandfather did believe me, gave it a try, lost 80lbs and now his 87 year old arteries are doing OK. I suspect he'll outlive her. I just reminded him to eat the way he grew up eating. Meat that he'd killed, eggs from his hens, green beans, broccoli, cabbages, lettuce and things like that which he'd grown (he still farms) and get off the processed food and have a little fat. It worked for me, it worked for him.

I'm now eating a lot of carbs to gain with but next cutting time I'll do a timed carb diet for a month then a month or two of a strict keto diet to make sure the pipes stay clean.

This isn't studies or AMA info. It certainly isn't AHA info. But based on my personal experience it is a way to make positive changes in your cholesterol levels.

I can't say this approach is perfect for everyone, but it did help me.

Best wishes to you for finding the right way to correct your cholesterol issue.

One thing to remember is that not all fats are equal. Some are good and some are not. Transfatty acids are extra bad. Most diets from ten years ago ignore this and just push for a low fat diet. The key thing is to lower the lipids that are bad for you and increase the good (e.g. Flax).

I would agree that plenty of fruit and colorful veggies are important to a healthy diet.

And, generally speaking, if you are thinner, your lipid profile is better than if you are fat. And if you exercise, your HDL is better than if you don't. For me, I eat right, don't drink alcohol, and go for the correct fats. And I avoid processed foods and sugar. But that only gets me so far with my cholesterol; some folks are just screwed no matter what they do, and others are fine even if they eat crap. Genetics.
    vagrant
    vagrant

Post by vagrant Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:27 am

doctorwill wrote:One thing to remember is that not all fats are equal. Some are good and some are not.
    ... Genetics.

Good points. It sounds like you eat similar to the way I do now. Especially good is the transfat point. I generally do my best to avoid those. I do have my saturated fat - but not much. Just a bit to help with hormone production. I went too low fat for a while and got some serious endocrine issues as a result. No one ever bothered to tell me that some saturated fat was actually needed when I was learning.

One trans fat I did try on purpose was CLA. It's kind of an unproven/unknown factor for me though. Is it as harmful as the others? Does the fat burning assistance it gives outweight the possible harm? I just don't know. I didn't notice any edge in fatburning when that was my goal from using it so I stopped. One bottle, then done. I wonder what effect it has on the lipid profile?
    PHREEK
    PHREEK

Post by PHREEK Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:08 am

Sugar is also elevates chol levels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am