Anabolic Steroids and Bodybuilding Online Board

+2
D.K.
John_Bobbit's_Unit
6 posters

Variation on shrugs?

John_Bobbit's_Unit
    John_Bobbit's_Unit

Variation on shrugs? Empty Variation on shrugs?

Post by John_Bobbit's_Unit Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:32 pm

I had a minor injury of sorts in my right shoulder awhile back, and I finally went to a physical therapist who had me do a series of exercises to strengthen the various smaller shoulder muscles. He stated that one problem I have is that my pecs are more developed than my back muscles, and this tends to pull the shoulders forward, making it more likely problems will occur. I'd thought I was hitting my back hard enough on bent over rows and cable rows to keep it balanced, but apparently not. (I've been doing the exercises he "prescribed", and it has helped a lot)

Anyhoo, I know the muscles (middle and lower part of the traps) between my shoulder blades and spine are not very well-developed, and it made me wonder if there would be any value in doing "shrugs", but in a bent-over position, basically the same as a seated cable row or bent over row? I normally squeeze my shoulder blades together at the end of a rep when doing rows, but it seems to me a bent-over shrug might hit the mid-lower traps harder. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? (I've noticed Dorian Yates had massive development in this area, and that made me wonder if Yates rows might be the answer?)
    D.K.
    D.K.

Variation on shrugs? Empty Re: Variation on shrugs?

Post by D.K. Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:26 am

you are speaking about the rhomboids muscles in the center upper back.
    If so then a good on is to use the reverse peck deck or seated fly machine what ever your gym calls it, you will feel the muscles contract with this exercise and really isolate them.

also this is a great site to find new movements and streaches.
    Bodybuilding Forum
    just click on the body part you need info on.
    NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT
    NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT

Post by NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 am

Number one most neglected muscle are the rear delts --make sure you are hitting them hard ----they are hard to isolate only a few exercises that isolate them ---DK mention the reverse peck deck is great for rear delts ---they are the cause of the inward shoulders ---this can also cause should tears if the rear delts are underdeveloped and the pecs are over developed
    w000dy
    w000dy
    VIP
    VIP

Post by w000dy Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:11 am

I love the reverse peck deck machine. I use it every week.
    Beezie
    Beezie

Post by Beezie Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

I have been hitting my rear delts with reverse flys (rear delt raise) over the past 7 weeks, I have def noticed my shoulders getting a more squared look about them. This is my fave exercise at the moment. I really make an efforet to squeeze the shoulder blades together and keep th emovement as strict as possible. Give these a go
    freshstart
    freshstart

Post by freshstart Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:01 am

Another great set other than the reverse peck deck, is using a low cable pull. Using a straight bar and keeping your hands close together, pull with your arms extended, up to your chest. This will isolate your Sternocleidomastoideus (neck) and your Trapezius (traps). Using a wider bar and following the same motion, you will isolate your Deltoideus (rear delts).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am