BuffD
El Mucho
bmoore2
8 posters

Incline bench vs. Flat

bmoore2

Incline bench vs. Flat Empty Incline bench vs. Flat

Post by bmoore2 Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Just a question of curiosity, I know this topic has probably come up before.

What do you guys think sculpts the best chest, incline bench or flat?

I ask this because all of the bodybuilders at my gym have totally removed flat bench from their workouts and concentrate strictly on incline. I have always done both but they are starting to convince me otherwise. what do you guys think?
    El Mucho
    El Mucho

Incline bench vs. Flat Empty Re: Incline bench vs. Flat

Post by El Mucho Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Incline. Flat bench incorporates more muscles so it is a good compound lift, but incline will build and sculpt your chest more.
    BuffD
    BuffD

Post by BuffD Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

I think you should always do a combination of several exercises. No one exercise will do everything you want it to. I personally like both despite sucking at both lol.
    NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT
    NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT

Post by NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Always use incline for a primary heavy lifter for chest ---but to get that great shaper for the chest I always do wide semi- heavy dumbell flys on the flat bench --get a good stretch and its great for a finisher at the end of the chest workout
    Dr. Steroids
    Dr. Steroids
    Admin

Post by Dr. Steroids Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm

NPC-HEAVYWEIGHT wrote:Always use incline for a primary heavy lifter for chest ---but to get that great shaper for the chest I always do wide semi- heavy dumbell flys on the flat bench --get a good stretch and its great for a finisher at the end of the chest workout            
    BIG BUMP, Yeah I build my chest routines around Incline.  It will build your chest more for overall development.  If you want to be able to hold a can on your chest while flexed you better be hitting those incline DB Presses.  I alternate between DB and the Bar as well as hit DB Flyes afterward. And dont forget to incorporate DC stretches after each exercise.

Last edited by Dr. Steroids on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    halfast
    halfast

Post by halfast Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm

The question you need to answer is what type of lift (incline, flat, decline) can I lift the most.
    Pretty much every time the answer will be flat bench, so does that mean that will be the best exercise to skulpt your chest? No, the key is variety.

If you are going to focus on getting big you need to make sure you have got the right program together for you, not follow what everyone else is doing in the gym.

You want to make sure you are using compound movements, not isolation exercises.
    So your staple exercises are going to be flat, incline and decline presses with bar/dumbell and weighted dips.

You also want to get variety, people make the mistake of sticking with the same program too long, or sometimes not long enough to gauge if there is any progress. You want to change your program say every 5th week. That gives you long enough to see how your progess is comming along, but not too long so your body adjusts and the growth starts to slow.

So lets say your first program was:

Flat bench press 3 x 4-6 reps
    Incline dumbell press 2 x 4-6
    Decline bench press 2 x 4-6

Make your next program:

Incline bench press 3 x 4-6 reps
    Flat dumbell press 3 x 4-6
    Weighted dips 2 x 4-6

Four exercises does not sound like alot of variation when designing a program but when you alternate between barbell and dumbell and change the order in which they are done in the workout you have many combinations to choose from.

So to answer your questions in short ( yes I know I rabbit on alot) one exercise is not going to give you that sculpted chest, it is a combination of variety of compound movements plus overload, the only other factor is genetics.
    Everyone has different insertion points and bone structure so work with what you have got, if your chest develops quickly in the upper portion do more decline movements to keep the growth even, or visa versa (which is the case for most people) if the lower chest develops more quickly incorporate more incline movements.
    w000dy
    w000dy
    VIP
    VIP

Post by w000dy Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

halfast wrote:The question you need to answer is what type of lift (incline, flat, decline) can I lift the most.
    Pretty much every time the answer will be flat bench, so does that mean that will be the best exercise to skulpt your chest? No, the key is variety.

If you are going to focus on getting big you need to make sure you have got the right program together for you, not follow what everyone else is doing in the gym.

You want to make sure you are using compound movements, not isolation exercises.
    So your staple exercises are going to be flat, incline and decline presses with bar/dumbell and weighted dips.

You also want to get variety, people make the mistake of sticking with the same program too long, or sometimes not long enough to gauge if there is any progress. You want to change your program say every 5th week. That gives you long enough to see how your progess is comming along, but not too long so your body adjusts and the growth starts to slow.

So lets say your first program was:

Flat bench press 3 x 4-6 reps
    Incline dumbell press 2 x 4-6
    Decline bench press 2 x 4-6

Make your next program:

Incline bench press 3 x 4-6 reps
    Flat dumbell press 3 x 4-6
    Weighted dips 2 x 4-6

Four exercises does not sound like alot of variation when designing a program but when you alternate between barbell and dumbell and change the order in which they are done in the workout you have many combinations to choose from.

So to answer your questions in short ( yes I know I rabbit on alot) one exercise is not going to give you that sculpted chest, it is a combination of variety of compound movements plus overload, the only other factor is genetics.
    Everyone has different insertion points and bone structure so work with what you have got, if your chest develops quickly in the upper portion do more decline movements to keep the growth even, or visa versa (which is the case for most people) if the lower chest develops more quickly incorporate more incline movements.            

Bumping this, I will start off with say flat bench one week, then move to incline etc.  But remember you are fatigued after your first workout making you not able to lift as much as you could.  So in this I alternate between Flat Bench, Incline bench, and decline bench.  I will use flat bench starting one week, the next week I will start with incline, and etc.  Do not that I do not always do BB for every exercise.  I also alternate all of these position with DB flies, BB presses, and DB presses.  That whay you get the best of all worlds for this particular muscle group.  It keeps your muscles guessing which IMO is a good thing for growth.
    bmoore2

Post by bmoore2 Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:22 pm

I agree that it is a combination, what sucks for me is that I have always concentrated on flat because of football testing in college, so now that im all done my incline is about 100 lbs behind my flat. So I think I will be concentrating on incline for a while!
    Pureblood
    Pureblood

Post by Pureblood Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:16 pm

I've always felt in more when doing inclines.When I flat bech,I never really feel it as good and don't seem to get much of a pump,no ,matter how strict my form is...Go figure?
    w000dy
    w000dy
    VIP
    VIP

Post by w000dy Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Pureblood wrote:I've always felt in more when doing inclines.When I flat bech,I never really feel it as good and don't seem to get much of a pump,no ,matter how strict my form is...Go figure?            
    Try doing flat bench dumbell presses.  Get a really good stretch at the very bottom of the negative end of the movement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:59 pm