Dr. Steroids
10 posters

The Big 3 for Size and Strength

Dr. Steroids
    Dr. Steroids
    Admin

The Big 3 for Size and Strength Empty The Big 3 for Size and Strength

Post by Dr. Steroids Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 am

Don't you just love hearing Pilates pussys run there mouth about how their exercise system strengthens the "core" like no other? They slide and rock and lean on all sorts of elaborately padded machines which make them look like a human pretzel.

You, the practicing bodybuilder, know better--don't you? You know that rather than mount a glorified ab machine, the only real way to strengthen your "core" is by tossing some steel. You also know that when I say "toss steel," I’m not talking empty barbells or using the pink 5lb weights. I’m talking bout the Big Three: squats, dead lifts and bench presses. Incorporating these three exercises into your routine you’ll mass in a way you never knew possible.

There may be no group of athletes on the face of the planet with more core strength than power lifters. Power lifters train for and compete in the Big Three and as a result develop not only great overall body strength, but dense muscle mass to boot. It shouldn't take a doctorate in human physiology to see the lesson to be learned: You should squat, dead lift and bench.

THE SQUAT

Universally known by bodybuilders as the king of exercises, the squat has been both beloved and reviled by athletes for decades. A gruelingly effective movement, performing it requires a unique combination of strength, balance and aerobic ability. When done correctly, it can yield dramatic results, both in the development of overall body strength and muscle mass
    The squat primarily works the quadriceps muscles of the thighs and, secondarily, the abductors, adductors, hamstrings and gluteals. Because the movement requires overall body stability and balance, virtually all of the major muscle groups become employed during the squat. Think of it as the ultimate mass builder.

SQUAT DIRECTIONS

-Enter a power rack or squat rack loaded with a barbell. Make sure safety bars are inserted into the uprights.

-Position yourself under the bar so that it sits across the back of your neck. Considered high for a powerlifter, the placement is beneficial for a bodybuilder as it helps keep the lifter's torso relatively upright. Foot placement can vary, but slightly beyond shoulder width and toes pointed outward at about a 15-degree angle gives you the most stable base.

-Ease the bar from its supports and take a step or two backward--enough to clear the supports.

-Take a deep breath and slowly start to bend your knees. The movement you should mimic is one of sitting down. Don't lean forward or push your knees past your toes. How far you should descend is a matter of choice, but you should squat at least until your thighs are parallel to the floor. This range of motion will hit the front of your thighs. Going deeper into a full power lifting-style squat brings your hamstrings and glutes into play.

-Rise back up in a slow controlled manner. Don't bounce at the bottom of the movement to assist in the positive portion of the exercise.

SQUAT TIPS

* Keep your head up throughout the movement. Letting it drop will cause your spine to roll forward and make you susceptible to injury.

* Take a wide stance to target the adductor muscles. Keep your feet close together to hit the teardrops on the front of your thighs.

THE DEADLIFT

There's a quote passed among power lifters to the effect of "The contest doesn't begin until the bar hits the floor." In other words, no test of raw strength is complete until the dead lift is contested. In a sense, it is the truest strength barometer of the three power lifts because it involves nothing but you, the weight and a floor--no racks or benches required. It's purely a battle of man versus gravity.

Dead lifts primarily stress the lumbar region and secondarily the hamstrings. A host of other muscle groups are also brought to bear when doing this exercise: traps, lats and the entire abdominal region. Dead lifts employ so many large muscle groups that doing them for reps will raise the metabolism, making them a good fat burner.

DEADLIFT DIRECTIONS

-Load up a barbell on a flat surface that provides good traction.

-Crouch over the bar with your feet spread slightly less than shoulder width apart for maximum stability. A wider stance will hit your adductors; a narrower stance is often used for stiff-leg dead lifts. Your thighs should be at approximately a right angle to your lower legs.

-Raise your head and keep your back flat.

-Grip the bar with one hand palm in and the other palm out. This in/out grip keeps the bar from rolling out of your hands.

-Keeping your back rigid, raise the weight with both your lower back and your thighs. Use your arms and hands as levers and to power the movement with your thighs and lower back.

DEADLIFT TIPS

* Never slouch while dead lifting. Lighten the weight when it becomes too heavy to keep a straight back.

THE BENCH PRESS

"How much can you bench?" For as long as anyone can remember, the bench press has been the measuring stick by which a man's prowess has been measured. This being the case, it would be hard to question the out-and-out manliness of Scot Mendelson, who bench presses record 713 pounds raw.
    The bench press can be used for far more than a test of strength. Many strength athletes and bodybuilders alike consider it the ultimate upper-body exercise. Primarily, it hits the pectorals and front delts. It also places tremendous stress on the triceps and side delts and even employs the lats and abdominals as stabilizers. Whether performed with a barbell or dumbbells, at an incline, flat or at a decline, the bench press is an exercise you don't want to overlook.

BENCH PRESS DIRECTIONS

-Get yourself a knowledgeable spotter. No kidding.

-Lie back on the bench with your feet securely planted on the floor.

-Remove the bar from the bench uprights and lower it to a point slightly above your nipple line. Make sure not to bounce the bar off your chest.

-Raise the bar smoothly and in a straight line without lifting your hips from the bench.

BENCH PRESS TIPS

* When lifting heavy, have a spotter assist you in removing and replacing the bar from the uprights. Trying to move the weight from a disadvantageous position can result in injury.

* A spotter can assist you in performing forced reps (don't do forced reps of squats or deadlifts).

* Close hand spacing will more effectively work your triceps, while a wide spacing will hit your outer pecs.

* Dumbbells allow freedom of movement not afforded by a barbell
    d.s.
    d.s.

The Big 3 for Size and Strength Empty Re: The Big 3 for Size and Strength

Post by d.s. Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 am

Whats wrong with pink 5lb weights. Suppose next you will make fun of my Tony Little gazelle work out machine.
    *N.V.S*
    *N.V.S*

Post by *N.V.S* Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 am

d.s. wrote:Whats wrong with pink 5lb weights. Suppose next you will make fun of my Tony Little gazelle work out machine.            
    Pardom my ignorance but what in the hell is a Tony Little Gazelle workout machine?

lol

nvs
    69ECLIPSE
    69ECLIPSE

Post by 69ECLIPSE Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 am

hey Dr. Steroids excellent post bro i couldn't agree with you more!!!!
    w000dy
    w000dy
    VIP
    VIP

Post by w000dy Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 am

BUMP! Nice Post Dr. Steroids!!
    El Mucho
    El Mucho

Post by El Mucho Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:09 am

d.s. wrote:Whats wrong with pink 5lb weights. Suppose next you will make fun of my Tony Little gazelle work out machine.            
    Ha ha. My neighbors have a Tony Little Gazelle. My neighbors are fat asses too.
    zambon
    zambon

Post by zambon Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 am

El Mucho wrote:Ha ha. My neighbors have a Tony Little Gazelle. My neighbors are fat asses too.            
    lol at the Gazelle..
    bigguy
    bigguy

Post by bigguy Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 am

*N.V.S* wrote:Pardom my ignorance but what in the hell is a Tony Little Gazelle workout machine?

lol

nvs            

YOU CAN DOOOOOOOO IT!!!!
    Style_74

Post by Style_74 Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:32 am

LMAO @ Tony Little. Great post Dr. Steroids!!
    MdTNT
    MdTNT

Post by MdTNT Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am

Bigguy knows Tony well, tehy go way back...tehy even share a locker at the gym......Tony actually autographed that picture that bigguy posted jsut for him......

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm